Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), supervises the activities and personnel of the medical staff and nursing staff. Performs medical provider duties, and is responsible for the overall direction of medical services provided by Desert Senita Community Health Center (DSCHC), including development and implementation of the Health Care Plan submitted to the Bureau of Primary Health Care (BPHC). Participants in Leadership team with other management staff to develop strategic planning, advocate for health center patients, and ensure health care needs of the community are met.
• Provides supervision and leadership for medical providers and nursing staff and all clinical operations, including all credentialing and privileging requirements.
• Provides direct patient care and supervises Physician Assistant(s) (PAs) and Nurse Practitioner(s) (NPs) in accordance with the specific medical specialty job description.
• Coordinates patient care and/or obtains consultations as necessary from specialists and/or other family practice physicians, as necessary.
• Assume principal responsibility for medical activities and professional services provided at DSCHC by DSCHC staff and contractors, including recommendation and active recruitment and personnel management of clinical staff.
• Responsible for handling issues, concerns, and suggestions made by medical staff as well as nursing staff.
• Participate in the planning and development, and ensures compliance with clinical policies and procedures, to continually improve the quality of patient care.
• Works with Leadership Team in development of a high quality clinical information system that includes thoroughly documented medical records, tracking of referrals, recall of patients, maintenance of Quality Improvement (QI) program, and assessment of clinical outcomes.
• Works with Leadership Team to reach and maintain Patient Centered Medical Home accreditation.
• Actively participates in budget, cost containment and productivity efforts, including participating in planning and budgeting process with CEO and Finance Manager and DSCHC Board of Directors to identify opportunities, priorities, goals, and objectives of health care provided by and at DSCHC.
• Provides clinical leadership and actively supports and participates in chronic disease collaborative(s) and/or other re-engineering and quality improvement efforts, including testing, implementation, and oversight of changes, as appropriate.
• Attend meetings as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Licensed to practice medicine in the state, a graduate of an accredited medical school and board-certified in a primary care specialty.
• Maintain MD and/or DO family practice board certification and current Arizona license
• Demonstrated ability to work with and supervise others effectively; to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and making decisions; to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
• Possesses a reasonable level of knowledge of community and public health systems and issues.
• Proficient in diagnostic procedures and treatment of illness and injuries in the community health center model setting.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of pharmacology, nutrition, and mental health.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate in the verbal and written form.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Air conditioned office/treatment rooms. Daily patient contact with exposure to communicable diseases, blood and/or blood products. Light lifting, considerable standing and walking.
Chief Medical Officer, Family Practice Doctor Opportunity in Southern Arizona
Desert Senita Community Health Center (DSCHC) is hiring a full-time family practice physician, who will be part of a patient centered medical team which includes medical, dental, behavioral health, and pharmacy professionals. Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is an outpatient only position, with 16 appointment slots per day maximum, and double-slots scheduled for certain visits. Call is one week out of 4, and are usually infrequent and never after 11 p.m. Duties include managing medical staff and active participation in quality improvement initiatives. Experience desired; bilingual applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
DSCHC has provided services in Ajo for over 50 years, originally as an outpatient clinic for the hospital which closed in 1986 and now as a Federally-Qualified Health Center (FQHC). DSCHC offers a wide array of services, including primary and preventative health care for all lifecycles; dental services; and behavioral health counseling. DSCHC also has an on-site lab, x-ray services, an in-house pharmacy, visiting specialty services such as cardiology, ultrasound, and a variety of case management, education, outreach, and other support services. As the sole provider of health care services, DSCHC has a diverse patient population which includes both year-round and winter residents.
DSCHC is located in the community of Ajo in rural southern Arizona, in the middle of the beautiful SonoranDesert. Some local items of note include:
- There is little to no pollution or traffic.
- Hiking and nature activities are available in and around the Ajo area at Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, nearby OrganPipeCactusNational Monument, and other desert areas.
- There are many active civic organizations in Ajo, such as the Ajo Rotary Club, Ajo Elks Lodge, Masonic Lodge, and the Ajo Lions Club.
- Other local activities include the local county library and its programs, ballet folkorico (Mexican folk dancing) groups, PimaCountyParks and Recreation athletic leagues for both youth and adults, and the local International Sonoran Desert Alliance and its business enterprise activities.
- Mexican beaches and resort areas are approximately 2 hours away.
- The CurleySchool has a local artisan housing project which has involved the historical and functional renovation of the former K – 12 school into living and working spaces for artists, artisans, and crafts-based, imaginative businesses.
Medical, dental, short-term/long-term disability, life insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan benefits and moving expenses provided. DSCHC is located in a health professional shortage area (HPSA), and National Health Service Corps Scholar placement and Loan Repayment is available. The current HPSA score is 18. Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references by email to email@example.com OR via fax to 520-387-5347 (Attention: F. Driver) OR via regular mail to Desert Senita Community Health Center, Attention: F. Driver, 410 N. Malacate Street, Ajo, AZ 85321.